Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Why we aint friends no more..

Have been blessed with good number of friends having diverse personalities - right from Ivy League scholars to the beautiful-hearted taporis. Most of these are the kinds of where - even when we talk after long time - the warmth, tone and mischief would still be the same when they yell, 'Anyaa!' and I reciprocate with equally endearing slang for his/her name.

However, I have observed that it is a tad tough to have a lasting friendships with certain peculiar kind of people - even though we believed them to be potential future life-long pals, at the outset. This blog post is, just me bloggin-aloud on my thoughts on why things go south with such people even without any discernable, tell-tale arguments or opinion differences.

Disclaimer: Before you read further, please note that this blog post is just my point of view on why people like me start going away from these kind of would-be pals. For these people - who drifted themselves from people like moi - that would be their own blog post in which they could enlighten others or keep to themselves. Not this post's concern.

After much pondering (and thereby missing out on an hour of playing with my kid), I have come to a belief that, there are very few people who can stand people with following traits, for long:

1. Talking down with people who are not of their standards:
Some may think this is a very idealistic/nondescript reason for drifting away. But for many in their right mind can never see themselves associated with people who put down others for reasons of riches/standards/race/religion/whatever. I, personally, would anyday prefer staying alone my whole life, then be seen with these kind of people who lack empathy and think of themselves as being just too good for others. I have actually seen these idiots uttering something to the effect that: we are born this way so we are entitled to this behaviour. Now, I have read enough history to have numerous examples of A-1 morons being born to the so-called blue-blooders and A-1 intellectuals and leaders born to disadvantaged, to really take this nonsense seriously.

2. Whiners:
I personally have had a pretty modest living as a kid and very well know of an extreme poverty in which rural India lives - to actually entertain anyone whining about the lesser number of chances he/she has got to strike gold in life. And to know that, most of these whiners are from pretty well-to-do families, is a further turn-off. They just lack patience and attitude to go that extra mile to get what they want. Now, don't get me wrong, I know the difference between these good-for-nothing whiners and the genuinely ambitious individuals who aim for higher goals and discuss with others when, for any reasons, they fail to achieve it.

3. The unnecessarily aggresive smartasses
Many of us find these types extremely obnoxious and repulsive to the core. Now, there is nothing wrong in being aggressive. Every one of us is aggressive in one or the other way - some are aggressive in achieving their career targets, some for earning loads of money, some for pataoing a girl, while some others are simply aggressive as that is the only way they can live their life.

The people I am talking about here are the ones:

a. Typical smartypants - who know deep down that they are not very smart but are hell bent on proving otherwise by unnecessary aggression.

b. My way or the highway - these people DO NOT have balanced views of any topic. If anything suits their purpose, they will aggressively advertise it as the only thing that is correct. Nevermind that others may point out number of follies in it. On top, they would act as complete douches, in proving how that thing is the greatest and best in the world. The examples are many in today's context: Apple fanboys, Droid nuts, political parties fanboys etc. It would never occur in their mind that, given a context, everyone's opinion might be correct at their place. No! For these guys, everyone else is dead wrong and they are the only beacon of correctness. These douches can be friends with only those who themselves subscribe to similar douche-ness. Not many can stand these types for very long.

While, each of us have different criteria - ranging from religious views to movies choices ;) - for choosing to abstain from getting into BFF kinda friendship with our newer pals; the above mentioned are the negative human traits most of us hope these newer pals wouldn't be adorned with. :)

____________________________________________________________
On personal note: I like to think of myself as a pretty balanced and rational individual. I would not hesitate to admit my mistake, if wrong and I wouldn't shy away from asking for forgiveness. But in all my common sense, I cant stand the kind of people mentioned above and just have to shrug them off in order to live a stress-free, simple life. I brutally believe in the philosophy of Karma. So to all those people who know that they belong to one of above categories, please take note and stop being douches. And when you do, I will be the first one to approach you myself without any unnecessary ego or pride. And I will be there for you - especially when the going is tough for you.

No comments: